Attracting funding and finance ranks alongside entering new markets and exploiting innovation effectively as a key priority for fast growing, innovative businesses that ultimately want to scale. Once we have established your overall strategic priorities with you, our support in this area can take several forms.
In the first instance, we can help innovative SMEs to make sense of the many funding and finance opportunities available.
We can advise on the best options from regional, national and international sources, both public and private, to support your innovation and expansion plans. And we can assist you to develop your finance and funding strategy and review your applications as a critical friend.
We can also help improve your pitching prowess and investment readiness, including through our national Pitchfest investment initiative.
Funding and finance for innovation projects
Here are some of the typical ways we help businesses at various stages. Please contact us for a consultation about funding and finance-related support with one of our innovation and growth specialists.
Seed and early stage
- Introducing financial controls, financial KPIs and understanding financial management
- Developing a realistic finance strategy to achieve innovation goals and growth ambitions, embracing both grant funding and private equity finance. Please see our focus on R&D / grant funding below
- Maximising the benefit available through R&D tax credits and understanding the Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) and patent box schemes
- Supporting you through the 2nd round equity finance process
- Securing grant funding for collaborative projects
- Improving the management of cash and working capital
- Leveraging the assets of the company
- Using debt finance
- Supporting you to harness innovation loan finance
A focus on R&D grant funding
Research and Development (R&D) funding is important for companies that are developing innovative products, process, services or technologies.
This type of funding is particularly important for seed and early stage companies undertaking feasibility studies, prototype development and testing.
The main sources of R&D funding come from government grants which support companies to test and de-risk ideas without the requirement for repayment.
We can support your business to identify the right R&D grant funding opportunities, including through Innovate UK and navigate your way through the application process.